5 Best Manual Coffee Grinders for 2020 Reviewed
No doubts, a fresh cup of coffee keeps us going. Whether you’re a busy parent, student, teacher, or the average joe, this beverage fuels our days. What if I told you that you could make your very own morning drink, and it would taste the same, if not better, than the coffee from your favorite cafe?
If you’re a coffee connoisseur, you may be worried about the following possibilities:
- – Grinds come out too thin. When this happens, you run the risk of destroying that much-needed caffeine and other must-have acids, oils, and compounds. You also increase the chances of a cup of coffee filled with granules since your mesh filter couldn’t trap them due to their thinness.
- – Grinds come out too coarse. Now, on the other hand, you don’t want your coffee grinds to be too chunky. Since we are extracting the components found within these beans, we really want the complete saturation, and too big of grinds won’t do the trick.
Chances are if you’re experiencing this issue, you’re using the wrong manual coffee grinder. If this happens to be the case, worry not! You’re in the right place.
Of course, achieving that ideal taste is going to take, but a great first step to delicious self-made coffee is the right grinder. With one, you’ll have the perfect tool that’ll support you in not only loving your daily coffees but impressing friends and family when they ask for a cup!
The Best Manual Coffee Grinders
In this buyer’s guide, we will cover everything from the best hand coffee grinder to the factors you need to consider before buying one. Let’s get down to it so you can start enjoying easy coffee grinding filled with rich flavors right from your home today!
1. Lido 3 Coffee Grinder
- – Large hopper capacity (70 grams)
- – Dual bronze axle bearings
- – Includes neoprene carry case
- – Includes cleaning and maintenance tools
- – Expensive
We’re excited to review the Lido 3 Manual Coffee Grinder as it’s an ideal selection for coffee lovers! This model is a 48mm swiss-made, steel grinding burr set.
2. JavaPresse Coffee Grinder
- – Built-in, adjustable grind selector
- – Less noise than electric grinders thanks to removable hand crank
- – Durable ceramic grinder blades
- – Wallet-friendly
- – Handle can rust if subjected to water
The JavaPresse Coffee Grinder is the high-quality product that provides you with more control over your beverages quality and flavor. It’s the kitchen companion that will change your mind about your morning (or afternoon) coffee forever – in the best possible way.
3. Akirakoki Coffee Grinder
- – High-quality wood
- – Ergonomic crank handle
- – Easy disassembly
- – Can slip around while using it
The Akirakoki Grinder is the ultimate kitchen tool for making your own delicious mug-fulls whenever the mood strikes, and as you go further into this review, you’ll understand why!
4. Cumcitin Coffee Grinder
- – Adjustable, built-in grind selector
- – Cordless and portable
- – Easy to disassemble and clean
- – Very affordable
- – Can slip around while using it
When you use the Cumcitin Grinder to prepare your coffee, you’re providing yourself and your loved ones with a delicious, high-quality drinking experience every single time. Plus, this grinder truly couldn’t be easier to use!
5. Zassenhaus Coffee Grinder
- – Beautiful mahogany finish
- – Noise-eliminating hand crank
- – 25-year guarantee on grinding mechanism
- – Cleaning it can be difficult
With this quality appliance in your kitchen, you’re provided with a smooth, hassle-free grinding experience that will result in mug-fulls of rich flavor and energy-boosting magic to kick off your days.
What Is A Manual Coffee Grinder?
A manual grinder is exactly what it sounds like. It’s a coffee-making gadget that relies on human muscle. Also referred to as hand-crank grinders, users will be able to grind whole beans themselves to achieve amazing tasting coffee.
What Are The Benefits of Using a Manual Coffee Grinder?
There are so many great reasons to hand grind your coffee. Here are just 5:
- Hand grinders are ideal for travelers. Because of their small sizes, they can enjoy fresh beverages anywhere they go!
- Grinders allow you to enjoy the process of making your coffee. You will literally smell the freshly ground beans, taking your coffee drinking experience to a new level.
- A great perk of these devices is that hand grinders are super affordable! Ditch the coffee maker and save money with a grinder instead!
- The design of hand grinders makes them very easy to use. Most designs offer simple experiences from start to finish.
- Need something quiet? Most manual grinders are quieter than automatic ones. This is perfect for those that don’t want to wake up the entire house in the mornings!
Blade VS Burr – What’s The Difference?
Before you decide on a hand coffee grinder, you need to know the difference between a blade grinder and a burr one!
A blade grinder works like a food processor, except it has blunted edges as opposed to razor-sharp. These blades spin to chop up coffee beans. Many of these grinders will be loud, especially when beans are still whole. Once the grinder breaks them down, the noise will also decrease.
A manual burr grinder resembles a pepper mill since coffee beans have to pass through two metal (sometimes plastic) objects in order to be ground into small pieces. The nice thing about these types of grinders is that grind size can be controlled. The best manual burr grinders will have several settings.
- – Blade grinders are smaller than burr grinders, consequently more compact.
- – Burr grinders are easier to use. Blade grinders require more of a learning curve.
- – Burr grinders are louder, larger, and most of the time, more expensive than blade grinders.
What To Consider When Buying a Manual Coffee Grinder?
Can’t decide on a hand grinder? Consider the following to help narrow down your shopping decision:
Want stainless steel, ceramic, or plastic option? The final choice will come down to durability and visual appeal. Stainless steel is the most durable; ceramic offers an elegant look, and plastic is functional. However, it will look worn down over time.
Size and Capacity
Equally as important, the size of your grinder matters. If you’re always on the go, consider buying something slim and sleek. This will make it easy to store and grip.
How much coffee are you trying to make? While some have a capacity for 20-30 grams of beans, others can handle up to 30-40. Of course, the difference in capacity has an impact on size. In most cases, the more capacity, the larger it will be.
When you grind your own coffee instead of opting for the pre-ground, store-bought versions, you enjoy much more control over your grind size. Different grind sizes produce different flavors, so you can try different coffee styles as opposed to just having one option.
Number of Grind Settings
The variety of grind settings is a very important factor when shopping for a grinder. This will let you achieve different tastes and make the best coffee possible.
The price of your hand grinder depends on a lot of factors like:
- – Size of the motor
- – Size of the grinder
- – Number of grind settings
- – Whether it’s a blade or burr grinder
In most cases, the more expensive the coffee hand grinder is, the better its quality will be.
Now that you know how to take your coffee drinking to the next level go out there and purchase the best manual coffee grinder for you!